So many are shocked when I tell them we stay on a tight grocery budget of about $85 per week. That means everything from milk & cheese to diapers & paper towels. I've been doing it for so long that it doesn't seem unreasonable. In fact, I'm glad Jeff bumped me up about $20 this year.
That's why I decided to post a picture and list the items I got. There were some great deals and plenty of free items! Like the Spaghetti O's... they paid me a penny per can to take them home and the salad was free!
Deals from Frys...
1 Box Capri Suns 1 Container Jif Peanut Butter 1 Box Tyson Chicken Patties 1 Bag Tyson Chicken Tenders 4 Cans Chili Beans 2 Cans Libby's Green Beans 2 Cans Chicken Broth 1 Can Black Beans 3 Rolls Bounty Paper Towels 1 Box Ziploc Sandwich Bags 2 Boxes Mama Bella Garlic Bread 1 Container Quaker Oat Meal 1 Box Quaker Instant Oatmeal 1 Bag Dole Salad 1 Bag Mozzerella Cheese 1 Container Riccotta Cheese 3 Boxes Mac & Cheese 4 Milk (1/2 Gallon) 2 Hunts Pasta Sauce 6 Cans Spaghetti O's 2 Cans Tomato Soup 2 Cans Chicken Noodle Soup 1 Box Croutons 1 Container Vegetable Oil
Total before Card and Coupons $94.26 Card Savings and coupons $59.87 Grand Total $34.39
Jeff's mouth dropped open when he saw the total. Then they scanned my card and coupons and his mouth dropped even further! I actually forgot a $1 coupon so it would have been less. It's always fun for me to take the challenge of staying within my budget. I take pride in the fact that I'm saving money and still feeding my family well.
I wish I would have taken pictures of the items I purchased at the other grocery stores but I forgot. One of these days I'll post about our menu and what we actually eat each week. Then maybe I'll let you in on my secrets of stocking up on different items each week to keep us going!
I've actually been tagged by two different people now so I guess I should get on this... Heidi and Jen both had some really random stuff to share. We'll see what I can come up with!
1. I love the # 5. I think it's because I was born on March 5th. I've loved it since I was a little girl. Interesting that we have 5 people living in our home!
2. It's strange that I love #5 because I don't care for odd numbers. I often stop the microwave or TV volume on an even number because I just like them more.
3. About a year ago I realized that the show King of Queens is talking about Queens, NY. Duh!
4. I would love to be a nurse on the Labor and Delivery floor someday. I think it would be so much fun to care for those women in labor and watch new life being born each day. When my kids are all in school I just might go back myself!
5. As a child and even an adult I loved mashed potatoes but with each pregnancy my tastes changed. While pregnant with Josh I couldn't eat them. Then with Seth I loved them again. Jake came along and I couldn't stand them. Now I eat them but they're not my favorite :o)
6. I love being in the kitchen! Baking, cooking, trying new things. I just don't know if I could actually do it professionally because I'm a really picky eater. It would be easier for me to tell you a list of things I would eat then a list that I wouldn't!
7. I can say the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish. It's because I was in a bilingual class in 2nd and 6th grade. It was fun and I learned quite a bit of Spanish.
On our recent trip to Disneyland the boys were very excited to visit Star Tours, the ride. Last time neither of them were big enough but this time both made the height requirements. They don't know much about Star Wars and had only seen one of the actual movies. Their friends talk about it and so in their eyes, it's the greatest!
So when Jeff and I were checking out the shows and attractions we were interested to see they had a new Jedi Training Show. Sounded like fun but we didn't mention it to the boys because we knew they would be bugging us all day. At one point my Dad and Jeff went to ride Space Mountain while the rest of us all hung out. Then Star Wars music started to play and caught the boys attention attention. Soon an announcement was made that the show and training was about to start. We made our way toward the stage and here's what happened next...
The "Master" came out and started picking younglings to train. Josh got on the stage...
Seth was jumping up and down and the "Master" laughed and said "You, the youngling that is very excited, come up and help me." Do you see the blue circles they're standing on? At one point the "Master" told all of them to look down at the circle. Seth looked down for a good 3 minutes because he was so nervous. Finally the "Master" told him he could look up. I had tears in my eyes because he was trying so hard to be a good listener!
Practicing their new moves...
Josh was actually fighting Darth Vader on stage with the "Master."
Storm Troopers were also trying to get in on the action
This is serious stuff!
In the end they were both awarded diplomas. Now they are officially Padawans, students of the Ancient Jedi Training.
They were bummed that they didn't get to keep the costume or light saber! They did however get Mickey Mouse light sabers as souvenirs. Jeff and I were happy because they cost under $5!
In the past year I've heard of several Moms who have chosen to end their marriages and leave families behind. It just blows my mind that you could turn around and walk away. What on earth would seriously possess a mother to do this? All I can think about is that the evil one is working overtime to get into families and home and rip them apart. It breaks my heart to see these husbands and children left behind to pick up the pieces! I pray that God will cause these women to have a change of heart and reconsider their decisions! I know the Lord could "fix" the things that seem so wrong and they could live a long, happy life with their family by their sides!
For I know the plan I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a bright future! Jeremiah 29:11