Saturday, October 18, 2008

My Grocery Trip

So many are shocked when I tell them we stay on a tight grocery budget of about $85 per week. That means everything from milk & cheese to diapers & paper towels. I've been doing it for so long that it doesn't seem unreasonable. In fact, I'm glad Jeff bumped me up about $20 this year.

That's why I decided to post a picture and list the items I got. There were some great deals and plenty of free items! Like the Spaghetti O's... they paid me a penny per can to take them home and the salad was free!

Deals from Frys...

1 Box Capri Suns
1 Container Jif Peanut Butter
1 Box Tyson Chicken Patties
1 Bag Tyson Chicken Tenders
4 Cans Chili Beans
2 Cans Libby's Green Beans
2 Cans Chicken Broth
1 Can Black Beans
3 Rolls Bounty Paper Towels
1 Box Ziploc Sandwich Bags
2 Boxes Mama Bella Garlic Bread
1 Container Quaker Oat Meal
1 Box Quaker Instant Oatmeal
1 Bag Dole Salad
1 Bag Mozzerella Cheese
1 Container Riccotta Cheese
3 Boxes Mac & Cheese
4 Milk (1/2 Gallon)
2 Hunts Pasta Sauce
6 Cans Spaghetti O's
2 Cans Tomato Soup
2 Cans Chicken Noodle Soup
1 Box Croutons
1 Container Vegetable Oil

Total before Card and Coupons $94.26
Card Savings and coupons $59.87
Grand Total $34.39

Jeff's mouth dropped open when he saw the total. Then they scanned my card and coupons and his mouth dropped even further! I actually forgot a $1 coupon so it would have been less. It's always fun for me to take the challenge of staying within my budget. I take pride in the fact that I'm saving money and still feeding my family well.

I wish I would have taken pictures of the items I purchased at the other grocery stores but I forgot. One of these days I'll post about our menu and what we actually eat each week. Then maybe I'll let you in on my secrets of stocking up on different items each week to keep us going!

14 comments:

Beth said...

Teach me how!

OneHappyfamily said...

You rocked it girl!

Hayley said...

Where do u shop!?

Anonymous said...

That's so awesome Stacy. I did a Fry's trip last Sunday that was close to your level and I actually am trying to get $11.00 that they owe me through their customer service which would have brought my total from $147.68 down to $49.68 after card and coupons. Let me know if you hear about any specials.... check out my blog for the apples and let me know if you need any. www.fourcsandag.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I don't have your email Stacey, but you can write me at azoficr@yahoo.com or call me at (623) 340-9969. We live at 116th ave/Olive and I will be picking these apples up Saturday morning around 8 am.

Penny said...

Do you do Coupon Sense? I'm impressed. I know I should do it but I don't take the time. Where do you shop? I don't want to shop at more than one place. I usually shop at Walmart but I like Frys but there isn't one close.

Kathleen said...

Talk about resourceful! Way to go. I'm always delighted when I stretch a dollar far, but you've put elasticity into a whole new context.

Kahtleen

Janelle said...

oh my goodness. write a book. please. fill me in. i need help.

Russell Fam. said...

I love to be thrifty! I would love to hear any of your little inside money saving ideas!! Thx.

Amber Hann said...

seriously! is it all coupons from the newspaper and stuff? Id love to learn everything before we have kids. we really only go grocery shopping once a month (ha the joy of a 2 person family but we only spend about $100 a month but i hear about all these coupon that you get where you pay like a few cents for cereal and crazy stuff. what do you recommend to find the best coupons? is the trick not shopping at only 1 store?

Anonymous said...

Hey Stacey... I have your apples if you can just let me know how to get them to you. I have bible study tomorrow morning but I will be home around 12. Need to pick up my oldest boy at 3 and then no plans the rest of the day. I fly out on Wednesday for a conference in Texas and won't be back til Sunday night. I don't want your apples to go bad, so let me know how to get them to you... they look amazing, btw!

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

$85... Wow:)

Susie said...

I'm so very proud of you!

luvgod2 said...

You've done an amazing job stretching your dollar - you have taken it to a whole new level! Awesome job!