Friday, June 16, 2006

Tubes went great

Okay, so things didn't go exactly as we planned this morning. Jeff set the alarm last night before we headed off to bed. Well, he woke up yelling at me this morning to get up because it was already almost 6:00. We were supposed to be there at 5:30. Jeff called the hospital and told them what happened. They told us we would be fine and to go ahead and still come down. We got dressed, I pulled my hair up (luckily I had showered the night before) and jumped in the car.

When we got in the car Jeff announced that the tank was on empty. We stopped and he put enough gas in to get to the hospital while I put my make-up on in the passenger seat.

We get to the hospital and I sign in. Just after I write our names down a nurse comes walking out and has a chart with Seth's name on it and is checking to see if we're there yet. I spoke up and apologized for being so late. She assured me that everything was fine and we just needed to get registered.

As we're sitting in the lobby, my parents show up with my sister and our other son, Josh. Josh then announces "I'm so tired because it's like 1 o'clock in the morning." He's not used to getting up before 8 on regular days.

We get registered and then taken back to the room to wait and see the surgeon and anesthesiologist. While sitting there, two men in construction hats walk back through the surgical doors and disappeared. My husband says "Wow, that must be one tough procedure!" Cracked me up!! That was a good thing since I was so nervous about the surgery.

Next thing we know a Dr. walked out and said "Okay, who's next?" My husband says "Um yeah, we'll take a kidney transplant, go ahead and put a stint in my heart and why don't you shave a little off the cranium while you're in there." Then adds "Imagine if surgery was like fast food restaurants." I'm sure glad I had some comic relief while we waited.

The nurse came and took Seth away through the double doors and he never cried but I had tears in my eyes!! We went to the waiting room and the Dr. came within about 15 minutes. He said that everything had gone smoothly and Seth was in the recovery area.

About 3 minutes after that someone came and asked me to come back and see Seth. When I got back there he was in a nurses arms. She said "You must have the best little guy ever!" He never even woke up crying or groggy, most kids wake up really irritated and mad." I was so proud!!

Anyway, we're back home now and he's fine. Grandma Susie got him a new "Elmo visits the Doctor" toy and he's happy as can be!! Thank you for all your prayers, I think it really made a difference for all of us!!


Stephanie said...

I am glad to hear that it went so smoothly (except for the waking up part - don't you HATE that)!

Tina said...

i am so glad to hear everything went okay!

Can't wait to see you in less than 2 weeks!

Lauren said...

That's wonderful - so happy for all of you!!!

BooMama said...

Glad your little man is a-okay...and I know you're relieved that it's over. Bet that Elmo toy made it ALL better. Hope y'all have a wonderful, restful weekend!

Addie said...

Oh good, glad to hear it! :-)

Julie said...

Yeah. I was thinking about you and praying for you and Seth as much as I could in the midst of the wedding crazies. I knew he'd do great. Tell him Julie gives him big kisses!

theresa said...

Yeah! Another answered prayer!! Glad Seth is home with tubes. Now hopefully those darn ear aches will be gone for good!

Susie said...

I can't believe the difference in our little "scooter". I'm so thankful that all went well and he's back to running and jumping and making us all laugh. I love that little guy! Isn't God good?